One of our family’s favorite shows to watch together is Cupcake Wars. My oldest has even decided that when he grows up, he and I are going to go on it and win. Of course, he clearly doesn’t realize that all of those cupcakes I bake come from a box but that’s okay. We’ll let him dream. To give him a little taste of the competition, I surprised him with a Cupcake Wars monster party.
After the raging success of the party, I can teach you how to throw a Cupcake Wars monster party for less than $100 with Oriental Trading. Surprise your aspiring young baker with a party he’ll never forget!
It’s not practical to have the kids create their own cupcakes from scratch in the time-span of a birthday party. Instead, bring cupcakes that are already baked and iced with white frosting. Make the competition about the decorations. Encourage kids to create the most outrageous and awesome monster cupcake ever!
$ Saving Tip: Make your own cupcakes and only add enough frosting to seal them. There is going to be plenty of candy added to them at the party.
Goodie Bag Creation
Fill each of your monster gift bags with the following:
- 3+ Temporary Tattoos
- 4+ Pixie Stix
$ Saving Tip: Buy the goodie bag items in bulk from Oriental Trading to have plenty to fill the bags without spending a lot of cash.
- Place your tablecloths on each the tables.
- Add a monster centerpiece to each one.
- Place a blank chef’s hat at each seat.
- Provide markers throughout the table.
- Have everything else set off to the side but easily accessible.
$ Saving Tip: Don’t feel the need for a ton of party décor. There are so many monster items for decorating that it looks like there is a ton of décor.
- Have the kids decorate their chef’s hats with markers.
- When they have finished, fit the hats to each child’s head.
- Next, provide each kid with a frosted cupcake on a monster plate.
- Fill a paint tray with various sprinkles for each child.
- Then let everyone pick a cupcake wrapper, monster eyes, and cotton candy for monster fur.
- They may need help with the cupcake wrappers.
- As the kids finish decorating their cupcakes, set them off to the side for judging.
- Once all of the cupcakes are finished, hold up each cupcake creation one at a time and have kids and parents vote by a show of hands.
- We let everyone vote as many times as they wanted and still had a clear winner.
- Keep track of votes for each cupcake in some form.
- You can have a specified prize for the winner if you would like. We did not and the kids were still happy.
- Let the kids devour their cupcakes.
- Hand out the goody bags for them to play with while they wait for everyone to finish eating.
- Once everyone has finished eating, end the party with presents and play.
This party is a big crowd pleaser! Even kids who aren’t into crafts and art will love creating crazy candy cupcake monsters. Remember to always have a backup in case the party activities move along faster than expected. For this party we had mini notebooks for each of the kids to color on and take home. We have also had tissue paper fights in the past which are always exciting for kids. Lastly, if you’re looking to save even more on your party, don’t forget that Oriental Trading has a coupon page, too!
See where I’m linking up!
Don’t Forget to Pin It!