Spooky attractions are a blast and seem to be everywhere during the month of October. You have your pick of styles and activities from regular haunted houses to scary weekends at theme parks. This year, try something different from your usual haunts (heehee, see what I did there?). Give zombie ziplining a try. This is the ultimate fall experience complete with heart-pumping ziplines, healthy exercise, and spooky scares! Don’t let the zombie part fool you because this can totally be a family-friendly outing as well.
This year, try something different from your usual fall outings with zombie ziplining! #ziplining #fun Click To Tweet
Ziplining is a blast! In case you’ve never done it before here is a little bit about what to expect. Each zipline is a separate station. You will walk to the first station with your group after getting all of your gear on. The attendant will hook you up to the line and when you are clear to go you jump off. Remember to place your hands as instructed on the way down. At the bottom there will be attendants to help you get to the end of the line and get unhooked. Then you walk to the next station which is typically nearby. That is all there is to it.
This is where it gets really fun. How do you take a night of ziplining and make it better? Turn it into a haunted attraction of course! Throughout the area there will be people are volunteers who have invented their own spooky scenarios.
When my friends and I did it, we went with a camper attack. We pitched a tent and hung some old clothes stuffed with newspaper half out of the door. In the stomach we placed a bowl full of pasta and pretended to eat entrails when zipliners came down the line. Another fun touch was our “brains patch” where we laid out heads of cauliflower dripping with red food coloring in the style of a pumpkin patch.
To help you out, here are a few tips for you if you decide to volunteer to be a zombie:
- Dress Warm – It gets cold fast when the sun sets. That goes double when you are repeatedly shoving your hands in cooked pasta.
- Bring Snacks – You will be at your station the whole night so make sure you pack drinks and snacks.
- Wear Old Clothes – Make sure you wear clothes that you don’t mind getting ruined. Not only will there be zombie make-up on you there will be a myriad of other things like grass and mud that can ruin clothes.
Don’t miss out on the experience because you have kids. These places are set up to be very adaptable to families. Each station attendant has a radio and can contact the attendant at the bottom of the line or at the next station to let them know that kids are in the group. The attendant will then pass this information on to the zombies so that they don’t scare your kiddos.
Kids can also go down the lines tandem with a parent, depending on their size. This is perfect for kids that are afraid to go alone. It is also great for parents that aren’t quite comfortable with their kids going alone yet. The workers want you to have fun and are willing to help in any way that they can.
Ziplining Tips and Tricks
- Wear pants that are snug to your waist or be sure to wear a belt. The gear will pull on them as you zipline and worrying about your underpants showing kind of takes the fun out of it. Take it from someone with personal experience.
- Also wear comfortable shoes. There is a decent amount of walking involved including steps up to the platforms. You also want to be able to run a little at the ends of the lines to get to the unhooking point.
- It’s okay if you don’t quite make it. Sometimes you don’t weigh enough or you slide back at the end. They have tools to get you to the bottom so don’t panic.
Whew! Now you have all the knowledge you need to rock your first ziplining experience. This is perfect for your fall bucket list or simply as a unique girls’ night out. If you go with the latter, please dress for comfort. I cannot stress enough that this is not the venue to “dress to impress”. Your Channel pirate boots may look gorgeous but you won’t feel beautiful when the heel gets caught at the end of the zipline and you ungracefully flail on the line. I also totally recommend trying out being a zombie at some point. It is the perfect way to get the whole experience and enjoy some Halloween fun!
If you want to know where we went you can find The Big Zipper: