I have a confession: I am 31 years old and still love fun party hats. If you look at pictures from my kids’ birthdays you will always find me rocking one. Why? It is because they are playful and that is a side of us that I don’t think we should ever lose. Instead of buying those playful cones for your next party, it is time to take it up a notch. These colorful DIY party hats are easy to make and quickly. They come together in minutes and can be customized to your unique party theme. If you want to really add to the colorful fun, use brightly colored staples like I did. They’re so pretty you’ll want guests to see them on the hats.
Affiliate links may be used in this post. Ordering a product through these links may result in a commission at no extra cost to you. Read the full disclosure here.
- Metallic or Printed Cardstock (Both 8.5 x 11 and 12 x 12 sheets will work)
- Stapler (with colorful staples)
- Hole Punch
- Iridescent Stretch Cord (I got mine at Michael’s)
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Metallic Garland
First, take a corner of your paper and roll it in on itself to create a cone.
Staple the seam to hold the form in place.
Next, trim the excess paper off of the bottom so that you have an even cone.
- To make this easier, trim in sections. Do not try to get the excess off in one long cut.
- If you struggle getting it even, you can hid the unevenness by gluing garland around the bottom in step 11.
Add a second staple to the seam of your cone to further secure it.
Now punch a small hole on the left and right of your hat.
- I like to use my Cropadile for this because I can set it for a consistent depth. You want your holes to be around ½ an inch from the edge of the cone.
- Keep your staples in the back, center of your cone as a placement guide for your holes.
Next, cut a length of cord that is 18” long. This may seem like a lot but the thicker cord (ie: the prettier cord) isn’t as stretchy as the thin white cord you find on store bought hats. You want to make sure these fit comfortably on your guests’ heads.
Now thread one end of your cord through the left hole from the outside of the cone towards the inside.
Then tie a double knot in the threaded end and trim the excess.
Next, thread the opposite end of your cord through the second punched hole. Again, double know the end and trim the excess.
Add a dab of hot glue to the top of your cone.
Lastly, press a small piece of garland into the glue.
- If the bottom of your cone is uneven, this is also the step to glue garland around the bottom of your cone. Make sure that your cord is pulled down while gluing to ensure the hat can still be worn.
Repeat this for as many party hats as you need. Feel free to mix patterns and colors, too. These colorful DIY party hats don’t need to be exactly the same. That is party of the fun. Now there are no limits on the creative party themes you can come up with. Don’t limit yourself to children’s birthday parties, either. Be a trendsetter and inspire your friends and family to embrace the playfulness. Make these colorful DIY party hats for your birthdays and New Years parties, too.
Don’t Forget to Pin It!