This week we are continuing to move forward with the boys room makeover. The kids love seeing it all start to come together. I am also super excited because the storage piece I ordered has arrived, as well. Of course, you know that I have to tweak it some. That is just what a chronic DIY-er does. The storage post will be coming your way soon. Today, however, as promised we are making this awesome DIY wooden geometric fox wall art. It is inspired by the metal wall art available at Hobby Lobby but I wanted to create something a little more rustic.
Affiliate links may be used in this post. Ordering a product through these links may result in a commission at no extra cost to you. Read the full disclosure here.
Find out how to make this awesome #DIY wooden #geometric #fox wall art! Click To Tweet
- Collected Sticks
- Laminated Mat or Parchment Paper
- Black Washable Marker
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Cutting Mat
- Utility Knife
First, bake your collected sticks in the oven at 250ºF for 1-2 hours.
- You can place them straight on the oven rack.
Let the sticks cool before working with them.
While your sticks cool, pull out your laminated mat.
- Parchment paper will be easy to pull off of your glued sticks but you will have to get a new sheet to draw your fox on if you mess up.
- The laminated mat is more tedious to remove the artwork from but you can wash off any drawing mistakes you make with the marker.
Next, draw the bottom of your fox face as pictured.
Continue drawing the outline of your fox face and the ears.
- Make sure your lines are straight. You do not want any curved lines.
Then fill in the interior lines, eyes, and nose of the fox.
Begin measuring and breaking your sticks to fit on your lines.
Continue fitting sticks until all of your drawn lines are covered.
Next, start gluing the joints with that glue.
Continue adding glue until all of your joints are secured.
- Some joints may need to be held together until the glue has begun to cool.
- If your sticks are not straight it causes the joints not to line up well for gluing. Add small pieces of stick underneath that curved piece at the joints to strengthen the glue bonds.
Add the eyes and nose then allow the glue to dry completely.
Next, carefully remove the fox from your mat.
- I used the tiny spatula from this kit to get under the glue in some spots.
Repair any areas that come apart or weaken during removal and let the glue dry
Lastly, trim the excess glue with your utility knife.
That’s all there is to making this DIY wooden geometric fox wall art! Now hang it on the wall and you’ll have a rustic modern piece or artwork for the kid’s room. Next week we will make the bear wall art. Until then you can check out this DIY Woodland Explore artwork. It’s another simple and rustic piece of DIY art that is perfect for a camping or woodland themed kid’s room.
Don’t Forget to Pin It!