With the weather warming up you are spending more time outside. If you’re anything like me, that has highlighted the sad state of your outdoor décor. Winter wreaks havoc on your curb appeal. Of course, with kids at home, it can also be hard to find the time to update your outdoor style. That’s why I love this easy DIY doormat! It is not only easy to make but incredibly inexpensive.
Affiliate links may be used in this post. Ordering a product through these links may result in a commission. Read the full disclosure here.
- Plain Doormat (I got mine at the dollar store)
- Painters Tape
- 1″ Paint Brush
- Bright Fabric Paint Set
Remove the tags from your doormat.
Place your letters where you want them on your mat.
- The stencils linked in the materials are the exact set I used. If you want the same design, use the capital “W” at the beginning and the capital “E” at the end.
Tape a box around your letters with painters tape.
Paint a layer of white fabric paint over the entire taped off rectangle with your paint brush.
- Because of the material of the mat you want to be careful around the stencils. Always pull your brush away from the letter stencils.
Allow paint layer to dry. While you’re waiting, begin painting your flower. Start with a circle about 3 inches from the bottom right corner of your mat.
- This works best if you apply all of the flower lines and details directly from your paint containers.
Next, create your petals. To do this, pick a spot on your circle and sweep away from your circle creating a curved line. Do the same thing again a little further down on the circle to create the second side of the petal. (See picture above for help.)
Create the inner petal detail by doing the same as you did to create your petal only smaller. (Again, see picture above for help.)
Repeat steps 6 and 7 until you have created all of your petals.
Color the center of your petals with yellow.
Next, fill in the rest of your petals with green. Allow your flower to dry.
While you’re waiting for your flower to dry, paint a second coat of white paint on your rectangle.
- To keep your flower from getting messed up when you do this, gently spin your mat around so that the flower is on the top while you paint the second white coat.
- You will want to use your brush again on this part.
Allow your second coat of white to dry.
While you wait, put a second smaller circle in the center of your flower.
Fill in the center circle with red and the outer circle with teal.
Next, outline your entire flower with teal as in the picture.
Remove the tape and stencils from the center of your mat. Fill in your letters with yellow paint.
Lastly, add in your decorative swirls. These can just be done free-form in whatever design you’d like. If you’d rather have more structure, you can copy from the picture above.
Allow your entire mat to dry completely. Then set your new doormat outside of your door and enjoy!
The bright colors on this are perfect for summer and will help update your front porch quickly and easily. Feel free to play around with the colors and make this doormat fit your own personal style. If you want more quick outdoor décor updates we’ve got you covered. Check out this gorgeous wreath or this fun napkin basket before you go!