Sometimes it can be difficult to remember that marriage is a partnership. In our family, my husband works third shift at his civilian job in addition to being a member of the Army National Guard (and having served two tours). This pretty much means that our time together is coveted. It also means that I am in charge of most of the day-to-day workings of our home and family.
Affiliate links may be used in this post. Ordering a product through these links may result in a commission. Read the full disclosure here.
If you are anything like us, you and your spouse can get caught up in your respective roles and forget that you’re supposed to be in this together. Instead of traveling on an intertwined path, you and your spouse being living parallel lives separate from each other. This is dangerous for your marriage and sometimes takes a conscious effort to avoid. This DIY marriage wall art can be a prominent reminder in your home to not only keep your marriage on track but also provide and excellent model for your children as well, especially when they see you and your spouse living it.
- 16” x 20” Canvas
- Acrylic Paint in Black and White
- Heart Stamp
- Hot Glue and Gun
- Floral Stems (to match your décor)
Cover entire canvas with black acrylic paint, including the edges.
Once the paint has dried, write the word “MARRIAGE” vertically down the center of the canvas with your pencil.
- Start in the middle and work your way to the top and bottom of the canvas. This will help you achieve more even spacing with your letters.
Still using your pencil, write the remaining horizontal words on your canvas:
p A rtnership
wo R king
fo R giveness
fr I endship
l A ughter
encoura G ement
(means, partnership, working, forgiveness, friendship, laughter, encouragement)
Carefully go over all of your letters with white paint. It may require 2 or more coats. Just continue adding coats of white paint over your letters until you achieve your desired look.
Stamp hearts onto the canvas, also with white.
- To keeps stamped images from being too heavy with paint, use a paint brush to put of thin layer on the stamp and then stamp on canvas.
- Be sure to turn your stamp various directions when stamping (occasionally stamping partially off of the edge of the canvas) to achieve a more aesthetically pleasing look.
After paint has fully dried, create the distressed look using a dry brush technique.
- Dip your brush into the white paint then brush back and forth on a scrap piece of paper 2-3 times, leaving only a small amount of paint in the bristles. Then brush onto canvas.
- Brush over the entire canvas (including words and stamped images) during this step.
Choose floral stems that match the décor in your home and glue them along the edges as pictured. Try to arrange them in a way that does not cover the words on your painting. If some flowers or leaves do cover your words, pull them back and glue them into place.
This simple DIY can have such an impact. Make one for your own home and make another to give as a beautiful wedding gift to newlyweds to help them start their marriage on the right path. Let’s build marriages up any small way we can, starting with our own.